Would you know what to do if a client had an adult Mental Health Crisis?
Is it time for you to get your Mental Health First Aid Certificate?
What is Mental Health First Aid?
You know that First Aid is the help given to an injured person before professional medical treatment can be obtained.
Mental Health First Aid is the help given to someone developing a mental health problem or in a mental health crisis, before specialist mental health treatment can be obtained or the crisis resolves.
What the Mental Health First Aid Course covers.
Learn about the signs and symptoms of common and disabling mental health problems in adults, how to provide initial help, where and how to get professional help, what sort of help has been shown by research to be effective, and how to provide first aid in a crisis situation.
This is an education course to learn how to give first aid to others and is not a therapy or support group.
- Person having suicidal thoughts and behaviours
- Person who deliberately self-harms
- Person having a panic attack
- Person who has recently experienced a traumatic event
- Psychotic person threatening violence
- Person who has overdosed or those experiencing severe mental health effects of drug and alcohol abuse
- Aggressive behaviours
The course also trains the public to give help to people living with mental health problems before a crisis develops. The problems covered are:
- Anxiety disorders
- Substance use disorders
How is the training delivered?
The course is delivered 100% online with a self-paced online learning and instructor led sessions.
- Course Component 1 – A self-paced eLearning component which takes five to seven hours to complete.
- Course Component 2 – An Instructor-led component using video conferencing made up of two sessions of two and a half hours each session.
What is the course cost?
The full cost of the course is only $220.
This includes the e-learning component as well as a hard copy of the manual posted to you. Don’t worry about the slow postage problems if Australia Post is struggling in your area. The full course is available online. The manual is your permanent resource to keep and refer to later.
How do I register?
Complete the form below. If you have any questions prior to submitting your enrollment you can call the trainer Fred Stern on 0412 102801. Make sure you let him know you are a mediator and want to be in the mediator focused course that Mediation Institute has arranged.
Registrations for this course need to be sent by: Friday 25th September.
You can start on the online learning as soon as you are enrolled.
The live instructor led components will take place on
- Tuesday 27th October – 9:15 am to 12:00 noon
- Wednesday 28th October – 9:15am to 12:00 noon each day.
Following this course, you will be able to complete an online exam which will enable you to be an accredited mental health first aider for a period of three years. You can complete this exam up to four weeks after the course.