eLearning Mediation Training is a specialty area for Mediation Institute.
We provide training for people who want to become dispute resolution professionals but who can’t afford five days straight of training typically offered by other training providers. Our approach takes a little longer but provides a more structured and well-paced approach to learning allowing time for reflection, discussion and application not typically available in the fast-paced environment of a workshop.
Our belief is that one size does not fit all, especially when it comes to learning. eLearning provides greater flexibility than workshop training and we think that is valuable.
Who is this course for?
The course is for anyone wanting to become a professional mediator in Australia. It is best suited for those who work full time and don’t want to give up a week of holidays or earning, those who are at home mums or dads and those living in regional and rural areas who don’t want the expense of traveling to a major center for a week of training.
Mediation Institute is the mediation training specialist and services are provided by mediators for mediators. We do not have any sales staff or others working with us who are not fully trained and accredited mediators.
That means that anyone you speak with knows the industry, the skills you need to be a professional mediator and will tell you the truth in response to your questions.
How can you train skills by eLearning?
Mediation Institute uses the same video mediation tools that professional mediators use with real clients to provide video mediation training. The hard part of mediation training is learning the facilitative and neutral role that you must take as a mediator. That requirement along with being able to facilitate the structured mediation process are what you will learn during the course through practice video mediation role plays.
We don’t have to teach you how to be in a room with clients. We give you credits for that if you are over 18 and have previously worked!
Training outcome: eligibility to complete the National Mediator Accreditation System (NMAS) assessment
- 40 hours including a weekly commitment of 5 hours of video tutorials and role plays and 5 hours of self-paced study. Daytime and Evening training options.
- You can fast track by committing to 9 hours per week of webinar and role play activity.
Course Commencement date: the first of each month.
Course Cost: $1,999 + $500 for Assessment = total training and assessment fee of $2,499
Accreditation as a NMAS Mediator requires an application form, proof of good character and professional indemnity cover and costs $320 for two years with Mediation Institute including your NMAS Accreditation, Free Professional Development Webinars and mentoring and an approved External Complaints Management Service.
- Monday’s – 1-hour webinar (or one hour video if you can’t make the webinar live)
- Tuesday’s – 2-hour role play – day and/or evening schedule
- Wednesday – self-paced learning using our award-winning eLearning program and the Mediation and Communication Skills Manual
- Thursday’s – 2-hour role play – day and/or evening schedule
- The National Mediation Accreditation System and becoming an NMAS Accredited Mediator
- The Requirements for Accreditation as a Mediator
- The Dynamics of Conflict
- Ethical Standards
- Mediation Process
- Practical Application – 9 video mediation role plays
What happens if I miss a live training webinar session?
If you miss a webinar you can watch a video of the content but we encourage you to attend so that you can enjoy the interaction with other students and ask questions live. You can contact the trainers throughout your studies with any questions that arise during your self-study.
If you miss a role play your course will take longer to complete.
How long do I have to complete the course?
You will need one month (unless you double up and do four role plays a week). You have three months to complete and can ask for an extension if necessary.
Who do I speak to if I have questions?
You can call
- Joanne Law – Director of Studies on 0401 293 500 or
- Ken Speakman – Director of Applied Learning on 0404 072 330
How do I enroll?
You can enroll online – https://www.mediationinstitute.edu.au/product/nmas-mediator-accreditation-course/ or download an application form here. NMAS Enrolment Form 4.2018 v1