Online study includes access to a state of the art learning management system, live and recorded video webinars, discussion groups, video mediation role plays and more provide a variety of learning opportunities without leaving your home or office,
Training requires that you participate in a minimum of 9 role plays. Three (3) must be as a mediator and the remaining six (6) can be as a role player.
There is no requirement for work placement.
An assessment role play is required if you want to apply for NMAS Accreditation.
Accreditation as a NMAS mediator is now a pre-requisite that allows you to apply to enrol in the CHC81115 – Graduate Diploma of Family Dispute Resolution.
If you are an experienced mediator or family dispute resolution practitioner there is an assessment only pathway to apply for NMAS Assessment and accreditation.
Training and Assessment Options
Compare our training options and find the pathway to professional accrediation as a mediator that is right for you.
NMAS Assessment OnlyDoes not include training
- NMAS Assessment for edibility to apply for NMAS Accreditation
- option to participate in video role plays prior to your assessmen.
- To apply for Assessment Only you must be eligible for an experience qualified pathway or be a recent graduate of a recognised Mediation Training course up to the NMAS Standards. Your prior studies must have included sufficient role plays to be considered up to NMAS Standards. A theory course is not equivalent.
- Once assessed as competent additional steps are required to apply for NMAS Accreditation
NMAS Mediator Refresher CourseRefresher Course includes elearning, practice and then assessment
- gap training in accordance with NMAS Standards for NMAS Mediators who’s accreditation has lapsed
- gap training in accordance with NMAS Standars for NMAS Mediartors who have not met their renewal CPD requirements
- gap training in accordance with NMAS Standards for NMAS Mediators who have not met their practice hour requirements for renewal
- assessment for NMAS Re-Accreditation
NMAS Mediator Training40 hour online course
- All Online learning including live webinars and discussion groups
- 9 video role plays (6 as a participant and 3 as a mediator) with comprehensive feedback
- Choice of Video Mediation or workshops for role plays (if available)
- Preparation for assessment for NMAS Accreditation
- Assessment role play for NMAS Accreditation
- Re-assessment role play for NMAS Accreditation (if required)
- Free Student Membership of Mi RMAB during your studies
What Our Graduates Are Saying
Don’t just take it from us, let our students do the talking!
I prefer being trained by specialists – I did my counselling diploma with the Austr. Inst. of Professional counsellors and it was only natural to do my mediation training with specialists in Mediation. My expectations for the course were exceeded; not only is it a fantastic and comprehensive course but the feedback and all my questions were answered in a really helpful and detailed way. That was the icing of the cake. Thank you! Ursula Najar
I appreciated the opportunity to pursue a non-graduate pathway offered by MI. The ability to undertake studies without the commitment and costs of residential schools was a big factor. That said, I really enjoyed a weekend workshop conducted here in Brisbane. Bill Mills
In this busy world I live in, the on-line training and face-to-face sessions have been the perfect mix of learning and practising my newly learnt skills. The website information and ease of contact with the Education Director to answer any questions I had was a big reason I chose the Mediation Institute.
Video role plays with the aid of zoom is a great way to get practice when face-to-face is not possible. It’s also wonderful for a quick meeting or discussion with a colleague. Gil Enterkin
Ursula from Juno Consulting Adelaide
Mediation Institute student Ursula from Juno Consulting Adelaide http://junoadelaide.com.au/
Ursula is a successful professional counsellor and undertook Mediation and Family Dispute Resolution training with Mediation Institute to expand her practice and skills in conflict resolution.
Use the button below to contact us about your study options.
Frequently Asked Questions
When can I enrol and get started?
We start students off one by one with an orientation session (via video) and encourage you to begin your reading and online work while participating as an observer in role plays that are being conducted.
Once you are comfortable with the technology we encourage you to participate as a role player.
When you have completed your theory and understand the facilitate mediation process you can start your role plays as a mediator.
You have the option of participating in one of our residential intensives (workshops) or complete your studies fully online.
If you need to travel to Melbourne or Brisbane for an Intensive accommodation and meals may be available at $120 per day per person.
How long is the course?
The mimimum total time required to complete the course is about 40 hours (equivalent of five full days of study)
Why the flexibility?
We understand that time is at a premium for busy people and so we do everything we can to provide you with the flexibility to fit in with your life and the other demands on your time.
The theory is self-paced and allows you to work through the course materials and theory at your own pace. Attend the live and interactive webinars when and if you can and participate in role plays on a schedule that makes sense for your life.
If you book in for a workshop just be aware that there will be a re-booking fee if you are a “no show” or cancel with less than 2 working days notice.
Sorry but we’re over people booking into workshops and then not turning up. As our methodology keeps the size of our workshops very small the absence of a participant is a real issue for you.
The rebooking fee is $500 if you are a no show to a workshop but want to have another go and there is no additional fee if you want to complete your role plays online.
How many hours?
The minimum time you should allow for the course is 40 hours. That is made up of:
- Self-paced learning using our award winning online learning system
- A minimum of six (6) role plays as a role player (allow 2 hours per role play) = 12 hours
- Three (3) mentored role plays as a mediator (allow 2 hours per role play) = 6 hours
We encourage students to participate in additional role plays and the options webinars as much as you possibly can to enhance your learning.
Once you have completed your studies you must participate in a 90 minute video mediation role play for assessment for eligibility to apply for National Mediator Accreditation under the NMAS.
This assessment will be conducted by an assessor independent of the trainer / assessors who mentored you in your earlier role plays.
Is Mediation Institute Recognised Mediation Accreditation Body?
That means that we apply the National Mediator Accreditation Standards (NMAS) established by the Mediators Standards Board (MSB). The authority to assess and accredit mediators is delegated to RMAB’s by the MSB.
Please read the NMAS for full information about accreditation, re-accreditation and practicing standards. You can download a copy of the NMAS from the MSB website www.msb.org.au
What payment terms do your offer?
If you want to begin your studies but can’t pay in full upfront please contact us to discuss a proposed payment plan over two or three months maximum.
Your certificate will not be issued until your course is paid in full.
What is the course content?
- conflict and conflict resolution theory
- conflict resolution processes
- the facilitative mediation process
- determining if mediation is appropriate
- communication and facilitation skills
Your knowledge is assessed through online learning activities and your skills through role plays.
There is no requirement for work placement for this course and it is not a Vocational Education and Training (VET) Qualification on the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF)
What is your refund policy?
Payment and Refunds Payment in full is required before commencement of the course unless an acceptable arrangement has been agreed. Direct Deposit Payments are not accepted on payment plans. Payment plans MUST be by a credit or debit card direct debit arrangement. If paying by instalments all payments may be required before your final assessment will be confirmed. Enrolment fees are not refundable once enrolment is confirmed and eLearning log in has been established.
The course requires participation in role plays which are held via video mediation or workshop.