Casual Mediator Pool - In any regional location in Western Australia
Salary/Level: Level 4, PSGO CSA GA, (Casual) $48.12 per hour (this includes 20% casual loading) + employer contributed superannuation into a fund of your choice
Employment Type: Casual
This pool will be open for a period of 24 months from the date of first appointment. Casual appointments may be offered, as the need to provide mediation arises in any regional location in Western Australia.
Typically, a casual appointment will consist of a minimum of 2 hours casual employment every quarter, as the work arises in your regional preference area. The role will service the various Western Australian regional and remote areas.
The regional preference areas are as follows:
- Albany & Great Southern
- Broome and Kimberley
- Bunbury & South West
- Geraldton, Gascoyne & Mid West
- Kalgoorlie, Goldfields and Esperance
- Mandurah and Peel
- Northam & Wheatbelt
- Port Hedland, Karratha and Pilbara
About the role
The Aboriginal Mediation Service (AMS) plays a key role in assisting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders to resolve conflict before it escalates to violence or results in court action.
Under the supervision of the AMS Manager, Mediators assist in providing a culturally inclusive mediation service to metropolitan, regional and remote Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders within Western Australia. Mediators work with the aim of reducing the escalation of conflict, protecting the community and directing clientele towards the adoption of conflict resolution skills thus reducing contact with Police and the judicial system.
Applicants must have the following to be eligible and remain in this recruitment pool:
- A current Driver’s Licence and be willing to operate 4WD vehicles for remote travel to local communities on unsealed roads.
- A Working with Children Check or be able to successfully apply for one.
- Commitment to attend quarterly professional development (by telephone or delivered in your region by the Manager of AMS).
- Commitment to attend annual professional development in the Perth Metro area for approximately 2 days.
- Willingness to travel via airplane including light aircraft to remote communities, if required.
- A personal mobile phone available when travelling (costs to be reimbursed by AMA).
- Successful completion of a national mediation training course and eligibility for accreditation through the Mediation Standards Board.
Commitment to attend and successfully complete a 5 day accredited mediation course, provided by the AMS. Successful completion of this training will make you eligible for accreditation through the Mediation Standards Board.
You will use your knowledge and understanding of Aboriginal culture, values and belief and work in a cross-cultural environment in connection to dealing with prolonged conflict in a sensitive and culturally appropriate manner.
You will use your high level of communication and interpersonal skills with an emphasis on negotiation, conflict resolution and the ability to actively listen while remaining impartial and work collaboratively to foster outcomes in individual and group settings.
As part of the AMS team, you must complete the mandatory training requirement in order to apply the AMS mediation model of service aligned with national standards. The mandatory training includes a 12 module online training course and a 5 day face to face training workshop. The AMS will provide these training components at no expense to the successful applicants.
Benefits of working for AMS:
- Supportive work environment, giving back to the community
- Flexible hours
- Nationally accredited training
- Remote supervision/support by qualified AMS staff in Perth
- Provision of a hire car/government vehicle when providing a mediation. We will pay for your travel time to and from your mediation sessions
- Access to the Department’s Employee Assistance Program
All employees are required to undergo employment screening, which includes a National Criminal History Check and other checks that may be relevant to the position requirements.
Further job related information
If you are interested in this position and would like further information on the role please contact Kristy Staples on (08) 9264 1817 for a confidential discussion.
To find out more about this opportunity and to apply for this position, click on the Apply Now button